“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” (Neil Gaiman)

Under The Table And Dreaming

So I had a rather interesting conversation with a colleague today.

Over some Dutch swiss rolls (they reminded me of Arctic Rolls, but fluffier),
we talked about relocation and the future.

She told me about their wanderlust plans, which were about to bear fruit.
I told her about my sister's impending move to Oz, and her suggestion that I pursue post-graduate studies there.

Why don't you? she asked. It's not within the realm of impossibility, especially when you won't be alone there.

I told her I had not given it a lot of thought. Bread and butter issues have basically pushed such pipe-dreams to a filing cabinet in the furthest corner of my head.

You should not wait too long, she cautioned. It gets harder with age.

She has a point. Dreams do get ever more elusive the longer we put off trying to pursue them. They lie latent but when they are left unfulfilled for too long, they manifest in weird and unpleasant ways.

I must say that I never harboured a specific dream or wish. No "I want to be a fireman" or "I want to be a ballerina" type of ambition. What I always believed, however, was that anything was possible so long as I put heart and soul into making it happen.


Dare I pursue or articulate these dreams? The least I can do now is to give them some serious thought.

No comments: